Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Change

A friend of mine gave me The Accidental Billionaires: Sex, Money, Betrayal and Founding of Facebook by Ben Mezrich read by Mike Chamberlain. I've seen The Social Network and I thought it was very good.

I was surprised to find that there is only one disk! It's just MP3 files. What an innovation! No more changing disks/cassettes, just a'changing times. You can also borrow audio books online from the library - no disks/cassettes at all.

I know it is often said that "on the wings of the trampling hooves of change doth we fly forward on our journey hand in hand with technology and cherubs". And I agree with that statement. I am very happy to embrace new technology (I admit this might not be obvious given that I still refer to audio books as story tapes).

However, I would like to have one moment of nostalgia for the plummy voice on the Chivers audio books announcing, "That is the end of Side X. The story will continue on the next cassette".

Just thinking about it makes me a bit misty.

No comments:

Post a Comment