Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sporting Glory and Rabbit Proof Fence

We headed to Inverloch this weekend for some sport. I participated in a very windy 10km beach run and my partner did an ocean swim. (We are a sports mad fitness couple like Grant Kenny and Lisa Curry ex Curry-Kenny nee Curry, except not divorced yet.)

Needing a cassette based story tape for the car (and one that wouldn't shit my partner to tears) I borrowed Rabbit Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington/Nugi Garimara read by Rachael Maza.

This was top story tape selection. Not only is the story itself gripping but I felt like I was learning something. And something important too. Listening to the tape I realised that I haven't engaged with many stories about the stolen generations in Australia. This book helped me imagine how I would feel if it happened to me.

Also, in case you're wondering just how glorious our sporting achievements were, let's just say that we both saw a bit of the podium. From the crowd during the presentations. Not to worry. We are friends with the girl who came third - reflected glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment